Monday, January 19, 2009

Yoga

One of my favorite yoga teachers, David Vendetti, writes in his biosketch "Yoga allows me to be who I am without struggle." My feelings about yoga are very similar. Throughout my life I have found something about myself to criticize; lack of excersise, overindulgence with food, too much tv, not enough studying, not being happy with my skin, etc. When I attended my first yoga class, over 5 years ago, I was instantly in love. My mind watched in quiet wonder as my body opened up, lengthened, flexed and stretched in new and unexpected ways. For the first time, there was no criticism. I was completely happy with who I was. I still get this feeling each time I step on my mat. I feel happy and at peace, no matter what else it going on in my life. Some days it takes a bit of effort to get myself to a yoga studio, and a few moments to drop the resistance in my mind and remember how to be still, be present once I'm on the mat. But each time I experience complete happiness.

If you are in the Boston area, check out South Boston Yoga.

No comments: