Friday, April 10, 2009

full moon - crazy afternoon

The full moon has a strong effect on me. I feel restless, full of energy, creative. I am usually productive in unexpected ways and more decisive. Today it seems I cannot stop writing. I should put this energy into writing a scientific paper, but I guess I have a need to write down my thoughts today.

April started off cool and rainy. At first I dreaded going out in the rain, but I discovered that it was not so cold and the rain was soft. Not like the harsh, chilling rains of fall. It was nice to rediscover this fact, which I must have forgotten over the course of the year. It reminded me of my favorite poem "There will come soft rains", which comes from a chapter with the same title, from the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury:

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;
Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
And no one will know of the war,
not one will care at last when it is done.
Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;
And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

This short story was one of the first things I read independently in English, after I first arrived in the US. I was in the 6th grade at the time. I love it still, and Ray Bradbury is still one of my favorite authors.

No comments: